Tuesday, March 30, 2010

What happened to Easter?


What happened to Easter? Part of my job at work is to work with holiday displays. So for the past week we have been putting out Easter candy, baskets, stuffed animals and toys for Easter. I personally hate the fact that Easter has become so commercialized. Why do parents buy their children presents for Easter. I don't understand that. It seems to me that celebrating the coming of spring has become the focus of Easter. It is just another holiday to "buy" something. It doesn't help that when you step into Walmart it is wall to wall "Easter stuff"
I try not to be very fanatical. But when it comes to Easter, I am. My kids get to have an easter egg hunt. But never on Easter. And they have never received a present of any sort on Easter. I feel that the Savior's death needs to be a reminder of his atoning sacrifice for us. The celebration needs to be in the fact that He Lives! And because he lives so will each of us. Because our Savior and Redeemer did this for each of us, we have a Plan of Salvation. To me it is a sacred holiday. One that needs to be reverenced. Not commercialized.

3 comments:

Ang said...

I completely agree. Growing up we always had our Easter egg hunt on Saturday. We've done the same thing. I like doing fun things so my kids have good memories, but we've decided to take the kids early Sunday morning to watch the sunset and have a devotional about the Savior. I hope it will be a memory that will overshadow any eggs or candy.

Brittany Evans said...

Thanks Aunt Kaylyn! I love that you make it a point to reverence and respect Easter. And you still let your kids have the fun of Easter egg hunts and everything and you make them separate. You are an amazing example! :)

The Thackers said...

I must be dense! I didn't think about having them just do an Easter Egg hunt and do the bunny thing on Saturday or something instead of Sunday morning! Thanks for posting this! I am trying to get my kids to understand that the Easter bunny, Santa, and everyone else is great and fun but there are more important reasons we celebrate these holidays. I so appreciate your point of view, Kaylyn!

layout